Jack and I went on a pre-birthday (for him) trip to Park City, Utah this past week since the boys were off school for Mardi Gras. This is a busy time at work for Dave so he couldn't join us. Mimi graciously agreed to keep Theo in Houston for me so Jack and I could have this fun trip together. He'd be a major drag in the snow! He got to do fun things with Mimi that I will write about in a separate post :)
Jack and I flew out early Sunday morning from Houston and had a direct flight to Salt Lake City, Utah. It was an easy 3 hour flight and we landed right at lunch time! I picked Utah on the advice of my friend, Carrie, for the ease of fly in, fly out. Park City was less than a 30 minute ride from the airport and that ROCKED. Colorado resorts may be nice, but trecherous rides through the mountains for upwards of 3 hours is not for me!
We opted to stay at the Lodge at Mountain Village since it's directly in the resort. I lucked out by getting a condo that was at the steps of the ski school, so talk about EASY. That is nice when you are walking around in ski boots ;) Our room overlooked the ice skating rink at the resort and it was fun to watch the Zamboni machine clean the ice each morning. We sadly never went skating due to either fatigue or snow/rain mix (more so that).
Jack did ski school for 2 days and I planned to do non-ski activities for our 3rd and final day there. Wrong!! Jack took to skiing like a duck to water and there was no going back. We made a run together on Wednesday and Jack zipped and zagged circles around me. I wanted him to get a full day of skiing and not fool with me having to rest (ha!!) so I arranged for a private 3 hour lesson for him. His instructor, Greg, was a perfect fit for Jack. He was just as playful as Jack is and the two of them had a great time. Greg taught him how to keep his skis straight and how to control his speed. They went to the summit of the mountain 3 times and Greg said that Jack was a fantastic skier (never mind that it was only his 3rd day ever to ski)!
I had 2 days of 1/2 group lessons and met some really nice ladies (Emma and Sarah) who also took the lessons with me both days. I can't say that I took to skiing as well as Jack did but I had a fun time :) In fact, I had to take the easy way out (aka, ski patrol) from a run with my local friend, Celeste, on Wednesday while Jack was getting his private lesson. The wind was gusting and I simply tired out at that high altitude :) I like to call it my first (and free) snowmobile ride.
Jack made daily trips to the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory for confections like chocolate-covered marshmallows or cherries. I loved my daily trips to the coffee shop for white chocolate mochas ;)
When we weren't skiing or eating, we were taking a rides on the Alpine coaster or the Eagle zip line. I wasn't thrilled about having to do the roller coaster (google it if you want more information) but ended up having a blast. Jack hopped off the coaster and immediately said he wanted to do it again. I told him "next year" ;)
Overall, we had a fantastic time in Park City and look forward to future ski trips!!













3 comments:
That's awesome! Looks like fun and glad Jack enjoyed it. What a fun Mommy/Son Trip. Maybe next time for Theo :)
Glad y'all had a great time!!! Looks like fun :)
So glad you guys had a great time!
Post a Comment