Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Raccoon surprise




Jack and Dave have been out in the backyard practicing baseball almost every night. Jack was throwing the ball up in the air and trying to catch it but one of his balls went up on our patio. Dave went up to Theo's room, which has access to the patio roof, and discovered a raccoon's nest right outside his window! The mom ran off so we got to see the babies up close. The looked like little kittens and appeared to be only a few days old. The mama raccoon came back to get the babies one by one and carried them off to the woods behind our house. I missed her the first 2 trips and pretty much staked her out (I'm sure my neighbors next door thought I was nuts or a weird lurker) for the final trip. It's hard to see through the screen but she's carrying the baby raccoon in her mouth. So cute! But glad they're gone ;)

1 comment:

Lauren said...

That's so crazy!! I don't do critters...I would have been totally freaking out. Interesting how Mama's raccoon's mothering instincts were kicking in :)