I'm on the Missions committee at church and we fill up Thanksgiving food baskets for about 60 families each year. It's a pretty big effort, collecting food from the congregation, storing it in a POD, counting it, moving it out to the gym and then divvying it out to the families. Two ladies from Missions head up the Thanksgiving and Christmas projects and do a phenomenal job each year!
I took the boys up to church this afternoon to help out. We've been doing this since Jack was a baby! The youth group also came and did all of the heavy lifting and transferring. Theo moved chips to their rightful home and Jack was in charge of cereal. They counted up jello and then put oil in each box. Tomorrow is the big job of picking up the perishable food and moving all of the items to the individual boxes. I love that the boys got to help out today. I had them walk through the room with 60 empty boxes and had them take note of how many there were. I explained how these families were going to bed each night with hungry bellies and how they needed to take a moment to be thankful for the food in our pantry.













No comments:
Post a Comment